Inspired partly from a recent article on TheKnot, I feel it’s time to talk about your wedding. Yes, you; my clients. Or the just two random people reading my blog.
Either way, I love anything personalized. I’m the kid that was flipping through LL Bean catalogs just to have my name printed on some random object. Maybe this comes from having a name that’s had to find printed on anything. Or maybe it’s just the control freak in me.
Whatever it may be, here are some great idea’s I’ve seen from my clients…
1. Why Be The Same? Who say’s all bridesmaids dresses have to be the same color? I think it’s fun to mix and match. My bride, Heather decided to pick out each girl’s dress based on what color looked best with their skin tone and designed her wedding colors around her girl’s dresses. What a great friend! I love the idea. Even if you don’t want to go multi-color, you can still choose two different colors that work for your girls.
2. Unique Centerpieces. Anything goes now with center pieces. Erica and Paul had a lot of DIY elements to their wedding in Holland, MI. Both are in the field of Chemistry. No, literally they have chemistry and they work in a science lab… could it be more perfect?! Erica put her craftyness to work and decided she wanted their wedding to have little pieces of her and Paul’s life. Forget plain ‘ol vases, Erica used test tubes! She bought the sets online and painted them to match her decor.
3. Wedding Guestbook. Bobi and Miles didn’t want a traditional guestbook with everyone’s names addresses. After all, they already had that info from mailing out invites. They wanted their guests humor. I helped them create a wedding guestbook using their engagement images, with prompts for their guests to leave a message on each page.
4. Writing Your Own Vows. This is one of my favorite things ever. Writing your own vows and reciting them in front of everyone can seem like a daunting task. Your minister is there to help. They don’t have to be completely different. Anything goes now, and that’s what I love. You can mix scripture in with your vows, a poem or even a favorite quote. Marissa and Jeff used one of their favorite poems as part of their vows.
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
-e. e. cummings
Yes, I totally teared up during this. Good thing my sniffles couldn’t be head from the balcony.
5. Cake Topper. Johanna and Jon are lovers of nature and wildlife. Their owl theme for stationary tied in perfect with their custom made cake topper. I love the animated expression of the owls as “love birds,” and Johanna even put her art degree to work and drew the design herself!
How will you customize our wedding?